Sunday, July 18, 2010

Okay, Let's Get Sarted

So for one reason or another you've decided (or been forced) to try and live the GF lifestyle.  I know, at first it seems like such an impossible thing, but it's not.  First thing's first, you need to sit down with yourself and tell yourself that you can do this, and it is possible and then don't worry another day about it.  Always moving forward.  No one is going to take control of what you eat except you.  Now that that is done lets bypass talking about the things we can't eat and start talking about what we CAN eat (I love to eat).  Fruit, Veggies, chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, rice, candy (most kinds, you only have to give up a few), rice pasta, cheese, eggs, and that is just a short list.  I find that most of things that I used to cook I can find some way to substitute GF foods that make it possible for me to eat.  That's the whole point of this blog to give you tips on what I have learned about finding something to eat.  Before you know it you will be eating healthier and most importantly will be feeling better.  You need to learn to start listening to you body when it comes to what is making you sick (for those of you who have they symptoms, I know some people do not).  I know there has been times when I was pretty sure that something was GF and after eating it a few times I noticed I had reactions afterwards.  Come to find out after a little more research what I thought was GF was actually not.  A great place to start when trying to figure out if this is indeed what  is going on is http://www.celiac.com/.  This is, in fact, the exact website that I went to over seven years ago looking for answers for myself.  There is so much information on this site that can be helpful for a newbie.  Like I mentioned before, neither I nor this website is a Dr so you should always talk to a Dr about what is going on.  If you feel like this Dr is not understanding you or has no knowledge of Celiac Disease get a second or third opinion.  I can't count how many Dr's I've been to that have such little knowledge of this disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment